Fullerton College Library
Queer Book Club
Ever been a book club member? There’s never been a better time to connect with fellow literature lovers. The Queer Book Club includes instructors, staff, and students. Allies welcome!
We’ve discussed: 1) white fragility, 2) not being brown enough or queer enough, 3) Spanish language in popular American literature, 4) white feminism vs. brown feminism, 5) the hegemony of the canon, & 6) a space cat, of course.
This group was created in response to students’ request at the 2019 LGBTQ+ Student Forum.
Join us for a meeting. Even if you don’t have time to read the book; we enjoy seeing your face & we appreciate the experiences and thoughts that you share.
Join our 2x-per-semester book club talks via Zoom or in-person!
Want more info? Contact Monique Delatte, firstname.lastname@example.org. The next meeting will be: Nov. 17, Friday, 2p-3p . We’ll meet in the library meeting room, 820-P, which is near the library classroom.
The Queer Book Club will read one book per semester, and we’ll meet to discuss roughly half of each title before midterms and again before finals.
Another prior selection was: The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For, by Alison Bechdel.
"Confidence" by Rafael Frumkin
QBC’s Past Reads
Falling in Love with Hominids by Nalo Hopkinson
Critic Jason Heller writes that Hopkinson’s stories “dazzle with a hard-won sense of hope.”
Angels in America by Tony Kushner
Pulitzer Prize for Drama,
Tony Award for Best Play,
Desk Award for Outstanding Play
Queer Book Club Reads & Intersection
- Queer Latinx writers
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe Sáenz, Benjamin Alire (Mexican American, gay)
- Juliet Takes a Breath Rivera, Gabby (Puerto-Rican, trans)
- Lieutenant Nun: Memoir of a Basque Transvestite in the New World De Erauso, Catalina (Spanish, trans)
- More Happy Than Not Silvera, Adam (Puerto Rican, gay)
- Queer female writers
- Queer Asian writers
- Gay Jewish writers
- Two Boys Kissing Levithan, David
- Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes Kushner, Tony
- Queer Black female writers
- Falling in Love with Hominids Hopkinson, Nalo (Caribbean, raised in Jamaica, Guyana, Trinidad, and Canada)
- You Should See Me in a Crown Johnson, Leah
- Cherokee Two-Spirit and Queer writer, also of African, Irish, Lenape, Lumbee, and Osage descent
- Asegi Stories: Cherokee Queer and Two-Spirit Memory Driskill, Qwo-Li
- Female writer
- The Song of Achilles: A Novel Miller, Madeline
- Gay poet
- (he)art. Frederick, Zane
- Gay writer, Primarily of Greek decent, but also of Middle-Eastern and Ashkenazi Jewish descent
- Happy-Go-Lucky Sedaris, David
- Queer Muslim writer
- We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir Habib, Samra
- Queer writer
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch: Broadway Edition Mitchell, John Cameron (nonbinary)
- (co-writer, Stephen Trask is of Jewish descent)
- Trans male writer of Irish Catholic descent
- Tomboy Survival Guide Coyote, Ivan