Fullerton College Library
Library Card Catalog Art Contest
Create a winning art piece that features historic FC Library (FCL) catalog cards. Artwork may be inspired by the text on the catalog cards – or your experience of libraries/books.
Winners earn prizes and a chance to have their art work displayed throughout the library.
Contact Monique Delatte Starkey: firstname.lastname@example.org, (714) 992-7379
April 18th, 2020
Unselected Work Pick-Up:
Through May 23, 2020
Include with your submission:
1st place: $125 Fullerton College Bookstore gift card
2nd place: $100 Fullerton College Bookstore gift card
3rd place: $75 Fullerton College Bookstore gift card
Four honorable mention awards: $50 Fullerton College Bookstore gift card
How to Enter
- Choose your favorite catalog cards from among the thousands available at Fullerton College Library’s reference desk.
- Create a 2-D or 3-D artwork that follows the rules below.
- Submit to Fullerton College Library by the deadline (April 18th, 2020) along with the completely filled out entry form. Please print legibly.
- Some of the text from the catalog card(s) must be visible.
- All 3-D works must have a stable base or flat bottom. Mobiles accepted if ready to hang.
- All 2-D works must be ready to hang: no wet work accepted, works on paper must be matted or mounted, indicate top of work if needed, no sawtooth hanging clips.
- Presentation of work must be secure and stable.
- Entries must be original. Entries are limited to 1 artwork per student.
- Students must completely fill out the entry form.
- There is no submission fee.
- Winning art will be displayed in the Fullerton College Library.
- Students must drop off and pick up work during specified periods.
- Fullerton College Library cannot guarantee that submissions will be protected from damage. Save & Exit
- Students who do not retrieve their work by the deadline forfeit their work to Fullerton College Library.
- Fullerton College Library reserves the right to keep, store, donate, sell, or dispose of unclaimed artwork.
- All work will be juried by Fullerton College faculty and an administrator.
What’s a catalog?
Info now available in the online catalog of books – once lived on 3” x 5” cards. Students manually looked up books by choosing a bank of drawers in the author, title, or subject section. Students then fingered through the cards to check if the library owned the book. Jot down a call number–&: Now to scour the stacks! Would the book be checked out? Libraries began transitioning to online searching in the ’80s; students may now look up books without even meeting a librarian. But, we’d love to visit with you!